Monday, January 21, 2008

New Years Resolutions........

Okay.. my first one is to update this more often. Someone said something to me about not sending recent pictures. I said "I just updated my blog" and she said "I use to check it a couple times a month. Nothing was ever updated so I lost interest". So... with this I'll do a better job.

Second - Show more gratitude toward David for working hard to keep me home. Me being home full time is something we both want for the foundation of our family. My part is to take care of the "two D's", keep the house cleaned and have decent food for all to eat. (I've learned the joy of cooking! For REAL this time!) His part is to financially support us. He does a great job, even in spite of my efforts to sabotage us (I'm embarrassed to admit the number of times he's heard "BUT IT WAS ON SALE" the past couple months).

Third - Be more responsible with money. Not that I'm "irresponsible" with it -- I just like to spend it. Last summer I started doing our grocery shopping with coupons and only buying sale items (with the exception of produce but we participate in a produce co-op so it's seldom I actually NEED to buy from the grocery store). On average I save between 60% - 75% when I grocery shop. It's work but I equate the savings for my time. SOO if I spend 1 hour getting coupons ready then 1 hour shopping and I save $60 on my grocery bill I figure I paid myself $30/hour just for being frugal. Anyways, we were going over our budget and David commented that my grocery spending hasn't decreased. Which... it hasn't but the amount of food I have has spiked. I have several friends that are LDS and they stockpile so if an emergency occurs they can maintain a level of independance for a year. I'm not there yet but I'd say I could honestly go 3 months without grocery shopping (except milk) and not run out of food. SOO... This is clearly not where I struggle.

BUT put a good shoe sale in front of me and I can't resist. Dominick has 3 pairs of shoes that fit him right now and 4 pair to grow into. Unfortunately the pair to "grow into" are all the same size... Same for Dalaynie but she's got more then 3 pair that fit now - they're just not seasonally appropriate. My very best deal was a pair of Adidas shoes for David for $1.05!! YEAP -- you read it correctly -- $1.05. They're $72 shoes that Kohls clearenced down to $7.50. Zappos does 110% "Price Matching" and had them for $72 so with the price match they ended up being $1.05 and they came shipped overnight!!!

Maybe I should just generalize the above statement and say "Put a good sale on ANYTHING in front of me" and I can't resist. Even if it's something I really don't need nor have ever really been interested in....

Good Lord, how did I get on this ramble...

Long story short: my third resolution is to slow the spending. Which I'm off to a blazing start for this month!!!! (If you don't count medical bills for Dominick's latest bout of pnemonia....)

OPPP.... Dominick is up crying so I need to tend to business. I'll finish my resolutions.... soon!

No comments: