SO.. back to "running". I have a friend that trained for and ran the PF Changs half marathon in January. She had an injury and was out for a few months. I talked to our mutual friend who ran and trained with the same group. I thought maybe I could start running with her. Turns out she's currently at a 9 1/2 min/mile pace. Yeah... I don't think that will work any more then about 15 feet for me. SOOO... she suggests I call KA because she wants to start again and goes at a 14 or so minute mile to start off. KA and I hook up and "make a plan".. because that's what runners do.
Today was our first morning... 5:40 my alarm went off. My first thought was I forgot to shut the alarm off, Laynie doesn't have school Sundays. I rolled over to hit snooze and realized it was much earlier then I get Laynie up. THEN I remembered.. oh yeah... we're starting to run today. WHY am I doing this?! (get in shape, save myself loads of $ because as said above "we're not spending" and none of my clothing from last summer fits, alleviate stress, decrease tension, anxiety, just improve my over all well being).
SO.. I get up get ready and as KA has always been 2 minutes before 6 she's in the street waiting for me. We head to our running destination and get ourselves ready to go. I essentially copy everything she does. She stretches her feet, I do the same. She walks a few steps, I do the same. We started off walking. I was happy. Yeah... THIS I can do. After a bit she says okay "Let's start, slowly." I can do this!! For about 100 feet. Then my muscles start to react so I think I'll walk fast. NOPE... not good enough for my "trainer". "Keep running, just stay slow. I know this is slower then you can walk but you have to stick with it". OOOKKKAYYY, just to the street. So we made it and walked then started up again. The nice thing was having her there to keep me going and hitting the point where I felt good in the stride we had.
I'm not a natural runner so it's going to take time and effort. I'm committed to sticking though. I need to stick. I've got 15 lbs to fit into my clothing (all gained from the beginning of the year, btw). All in all it's now 4 1/2 hours since our run and I'm feeling pretty good. I had found a blog by a MD that's a runner, wish I'd have saved it because she had some really good information posted.. like run so slow you're friends would laugh if they saw you initially. AND.. no matter how great you feel only run the distance you decide before you start.
Nick is getting into things he shouldn't because I'm not paying attention to him. Both kids are doing great! I'm amazed every now and then with the notion I seem to keep loving them "more". It's great. I'll get some pictures up soon. I've got them loaded to the PC (laptop is down...) now I just need to pull them to Picasa or use Slide. Someday...
Okay.. here's one of Nick's new "poses", what a ham! This was at his last night of 'mommy & me' pre-school.
Laynie with our first tomato from our "bucket garden". We're very proud of our growing skills and the flavor of the tomato beat any store bought one we've ever had!
Okay.. and here's one last shot of part of the "bucket garden". This was inspired by KA earlier this year as well. YUM, YUM! We (being Laynie and I) planted Armenian cucumbers, jalapenos, tomatoes, basil, a couple flower pots and the plant that died and we're "nursing' back to life! We've also just started, this past week some thyme, lavender, oregano and a ginger plant from Hawaii! Hopefully the herbs will take off. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE cooking with them!
No comments:
Post a Comment