Friday, November 17, 2006

"Donuts have sugar"

This is what Dalaynie told me tonight. To back the story up a little it goes something like this....

David is taking her in the morning for a flu shot. Her best buddie, the neighbor boy, was over playing this evening. David is across the street with the guys so moms and kids were here. They just went home a bit ago. I told Dalaynie she needed to go to bed because she has to get up early. The conversation went like this:

ME: Hey Layne - It's time to go brush your teeth, say prayers and go to sleep

Laynie: But I don't want to

ME: I know but you have to get up early. Daddy is going to take you to get your flu shot

Laynie: But it will hurt

ME: Only a little bit and only for a couple seconds (I try not to lie to her too much. She thinks chocolate milk is spicy, I think that's enough!)

Laynie: But I don't want a flu SHOT

ME: If you're good daddy will do something fun with you, like get a donut

Laynie: Donuts have sugar.


When I was a child and had to have a shot (which between shots of adrenalin to get my asthma under control and allery shots was quite often) my dad would take me to MR DONUT after if I was good and didn't fight the shot. It was always fun because we seemed to always go at the time they were making lots of donuts. The donut bakers were behind a big sheet of glass. If the counter help was nice they'd let us (my sister Heather got lots of shots too) watch our special donut being made. We'd always sit on the red stools right by the counter, like we were in a bar. It was heaven for a little girl.


Dominick went yesterday for his "Synagis" shot. It is like a flu shot for RSV. He wasn't so happy about getting it. I kept having flashbacks about the size of the needle. I glanced just in time to see all THREE inches (at least) it being pushed into his chubby little leg. Now I know how my dad felt when he'd bring us for shots. I see the need for the donut also (he had the biggest sweet tooth of anyone I know). Dominick weighs 12 lbs 2 oz now!


Here are the most recent photos we've downloaded from the camera. David is back home and Laynie is having a fit about the flu shot... She's clinging to me now.


P.S. Molly, the diabetic dog, is spending the night camping under the stars because she ate playdo. YUCK!

1 comment:

Jaden`s Mom said...

Johnna,
I love this site what you made!!!!!
Love the slide show as well, you are good. you have to tell me about this!!!!

Poor Laybie about the chocho milk :)

Love