Sunday, October 05, 2008

MN

The kids and I are still here and all is... Minnesota. My moms memorial service was last Monday. She didn't want anything big so a small graveside service was planned. She didn't want a big visitation or funeral. She's always been horrified that people go through that.. she use to say it just prolongs the pain. The prior priest at our church, Father Reiser, made the trip over to do the service. It was really nice as he knew her and my dad since they joined Epiphany Church in 1964. He's retired now so it was really special, to me, that he took the time to participate. At the end of the service we released balloons. Each balloon represented us kids and grandkids.

Last week went by so quickly. One Tuesday I took David to Fort Snelling Cemetary to where my dad is buried. Laynie was a little confused about what we were doing there. I told her we were going to see where Grandpa Tom is and she said "WAIT, I didn't know heaven is in the ground?!" hmmmm.... I guess we need to talk about that a little more. Her and Dominick pulled grass and made a little 'bird nest' on top of my dads headstone. I try to visit Fort Snelling each time I'm in Minnesota and this was the first time I've felt completely at peace being there... We left the cemetary then went to visit my friend Kelly at her store in the Burnsville mall. Then we went to visit Uncle Bill then Antie Jeanie. It was a long but nice day.

Wednesday we went to the Mall of America with the kids then met my friends at Fudruckers for dinner. Thursday we met Kelly's mom and sisters at McDonalds for coffee and let the kids play. Then we headed to Como Zoo for the afternoon. Kelly's sister came along then my sisters & niece met us. It was fun. David headed back home on Friday morning so the kids and I went and met Tricia for lunch then went and took naps and took it easy for the evening.

Nick was up most of the night Friday/Saturday coughing so I took him to urgent care. He has a respiratory infection... I guess a trip wouldn't be complete without him getting sick! Today we went to baby Isabella's shower. She's a doll baby. My mom and I talked about getting a gift together so I went ahead and got her what we talked about. I also told Cindy I'm going to get something else that I know my mom would have bought her.... Now I just need to follow through!

I'm hoping to get the kiddos to an apple orchard and a pumpkin patch while we're here. The weather isn't suppose to be ideal though so we'll just take it as it comes. I was looking forward to the cooler weather but now I'm looking forward to getting back to the heat... I'm just not a winter person.. or a fall person.. or a spring person...

No comments: